Jodhpur is full of history and have spectacular monuments like Mehrangarh Fort and Jaswant Thada Other then these main attractions there are some places around Jodhpur, which are recomended for half day excursions i.e.
Visit to Bisnoi village and village safari
Visit to Osian sand dunes.
Osian sand dunes are around 70 km from the Jodhpur city and I booked a cab to visit. Though I had visited these before (approx 15 yrs back) but I decded to visit these again as I have some free time. Moreover it was recomended a lot and have good reviews. So I thought maybe something interesting developed over the years. But alas!!!!! It was more boring and dull place than I remebered.
The Osian sand dune tour includes two old temples also. Which is more of a marketing thing. If you are religious and like to visit temples than it’s a different thing. Else don’t fall for it, go only if you have nothing else to do and just want to kill time & spend some money 😉
Now I come to the reasons, why you can avoid going there –
* Drive is long and boring as nothing interesting on the way.
* Skip it…..Until and unless you are a religious person, who likes to visit all temples.
* Osian is a small to mid range dune with shrubs here and there. Its area is quite small and not clean.
* Skip it…. If you are not crazy to ride a camel as you never rode a camel before.
* If you have any plans to visit Jaisalmer in near or distant future, then definitely skip it.
* There are no proper restaurants and restrooms in the area.
* It will cost you somewhere around 1800 INR with nothing interesting to see or experience.